Nutanix Introduces Cloud Native Solutions for Enterprises
Simplest path to production-ready Kubernetes in private data center within the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform
San Jose, California: Nutanix, leading providers of enterprise cloud computing, today announced the general availability of its Certified Kubernetes solution, Nutanix Karbon. Karbon is part of the Nutanix Cloud Native stack, bringing production-ready Kubernetes, persistence for Kubernetes applications, observability and monitoring for dynamic containers, and managed databases in a unified simple-to-deploy-and-manage offering. With this introduction, Nutanix customers will be able to leverage reliable, automated, secure and efficient services together with the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform to develop and run both their virtual machine and container-based applications on-premises.
According to IDC, the container infrastructure software market is expected to grow from to $1.55 billion by 2022, with most of the growth coming from on-premises deployments. The report states that though much of the adoption to date has been with web-scale companies, it is now beginning to expand into enterprises, as they begin learning technologies and change how they approach development and operations. The report also finds that most enterprises are in research and experimentation mode at present, with only a very small elite segment having any real experience or deployments of containers today.
Using Nutanix’s Cloud Native offerings, these companies will be able to take advantage of simple, reliable on-prem tooling and automation required for fast development and continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) of scale-out applications for a cloud-like Kubernetes experience on-prem. This includes simple and fast deployment of Kubernetes in a private cloud, persistent block and file storage via CSI driver, observability for their cloud-native applications and, once available, S3-compatible storage – all delivered with modern simplicity using the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform, which includes:
- Nutanix Karbon: A simplified and production-ready Certified Kubernetes distribution that simplifies the provisioning, operations and lifecycle management of Kubernetes with a native experience. Karbon is included in the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform.
- Nutanix Volumes & Files: One of the more challenging aspects of cloud native applications is persistence. With Nutanix’s Container Storage Interface (CSI) and Volumes & Files products, adding high-performance storage to Kubernetes is simplified.
- Nutanix Buckets: A software-defined object storage solution that will be able to non-disruptively scale-out while lowering overall costs. It’s designed with an S3-compatible REST API interface to handle from terabytes to petabytes of unstructured data. Customers using Buckets will be able to natively leverage erasure coding, compression, and deduplication to optimize their capacity utilization. This S3-compatible platform will be able to be leveraged as central storage for all DevOps use cases. Buckets is expected to be generally available by summer of 2019.
- Nutanix Xi Epoch: An observability and monitoring service for cloud native applications that provides end-to-end real-time visibility into distributed application architecture, powered by 250+ technology native integrations. With Xi Epoch, customers gain insights into application, infrastructure, and orchestration management issues, enabling them to increase the reliability and performance of their Cloud Native applications.
- Nutanix Era: A database administration tool that brings simplicity and invisible operations to database provisioning and lifecycle management (LCM). With one-click database provisioning and Copy Data Management (CDM) as its first services, organizations can provision, clone, refresh, and backup their databases to any point in time in just a few minutes.
“Enterprises want to take advantage of Kubernetes to modernize their applications and increase the speed of software development. With Karbon they can now deploy and operate Kubernetes with a cloud-like experience in their private data center without having to master building and maintaining Kubernetes,” said Greg Muscarella, VP Products at Nutanix. “Nutanix’s full cloud native stack will be able to provide a simple and quick way to deploy highly available Kubernetes clusters with the persistent storage, enterprise grade data services, object storage, and observability and monitoring that today’s enterprises need.”
Zach Hilliard, Senior Director of SREs at Cyxtera said, “Leveraging Nutanix Karbon, we can deploy a Kubernetes cluster in just a few minutes. Prior to Karbon, this process was complex, tedious and very time-consuming. Now, we can focus more on our cloud native applications and not worry about the Kubernetes infrastructure.”
With Karbon, Nutanix’s cloud software and hyperconverged infrastructure solutions can help enterprise IT focus on the applications and services that power their business. Nutanix Enterprise Cloud OS software’s one-click application management and mobility across public, private and distributed edge clouds can run any application at scale with a dramatically lower total cost of ownership. This allows organizations to have a high-performance IT environment on demand, giving application owners a true cloud-like experience.